Frequently Asked Questions
This FAQ was created to answer the majority of the questions you might have about our service.
This FAQ is continually being updated. As always, feel free to contact us for any additional questions that you might have.
Useful HTML Tutorial
1. What server platform does Vendercom have?The web server is running Apache on Linux.
2. Server Specs? Backbone? Server Location?The servers are powered by Pentium 4 processors with 1024Mb of RAM. The servers are backed by two ultra fast OC-48 backbones and are located in Europe.
3. Features?Web mail, FTP, Telnet / SSH, POP3, Stats, Raw logs, Site search, PHP 4.1.2, MySQL 3.23.49, Perl 5.6.1 and mod_perl 1.26-03, Apache 1.3.26, Postfix 1.1.11, ProFTPD 1.2.4, Bind 8.3.3, Openssl 0.9.6c, Courier IMAP 1.4.3, gd-1.8.4-17, Python 2.2.3, Python 2.1.3, SquirrelMail 1.2.6
4. Support DetailsSupport avaliable Monday through to Friday 9:00AM - 5:00PM UTC +10, also the same as Greenwich time +10 Click Here.
5. Extra Services?E-Commerce with SSL.
Domain Name registration
Search Engine promotion
6. Setting-up (DNS Details, How long will it take?)You'll need to set your DNS's to
It normally takes 24-48 hours for a domain to resolve.
7. Databases (How to set up and details)In the control panel, go to 'MySQL Management'. Click on 'Create new Database' to create a new MySQL database. The database is created instantly upon your submission. If this is your first database, you will also be asked for an initial password to use for your databases. The name of the database to connect to in your programs will be whatever you entered prefixed with your username and an underscore (_). For example, if you enter 'test' as the name, your database will be created as vendercom_test.
8. Email settings, web-mail detailsYou can connect and download email from your domain through a POP3 email client. You will need to set up a user and password to use this service. To do so, logon to Account Manager and enter "Mail Administration". Click on POP3 Mailboxes and then "Add POP3". Enter an username and password, click Add Mailbox.
Now that you have set up a POP3 Mailbox you can send and receive email directly from your domain. In your email client, set up a new account with the following details.
To access your email via the web you will need to login to your mail box from the following URL:
http://your_domain.webmail.com → e.g. http://mysite.webmail.com
You will be prompted with a login screen, here you will need to enter in your mail box user name
(The user name is the first part of your email address email@example.com)
Your password for this mail box is also require, this you assigned when creating the mail box from with in your control panel.
when the above information is entered in please click on the "LOGIN" button.
9. Log-files (Viewing them, etc)To view your log files, simply click on view logs in the Account Mananger. For Web Stats click on Advanced Web Stats.
10. Setting up a password-protected directoryGo to 'Protected Directories' in the control panel, choose the directory you wish to protect, click 'Go'. You can supply a name for the area, or accept the default, then click 'Configure'. You can then add and remove users.
11. Custom Error documentsIn the Account Manager, simply go to "Error Documents". From there you can set your own documents for certain errors to replace the standard Apache ones.
12. Sub-domainsPlease contact support to set up subdomains.
13. FTP Set-upYou will need a FTP client to upload your data. We recommend Trellian FTP. To connect, your FTP address should look like "ftp.yourdomain.com", e.g. ftp.mysite.com. You will need to supply a user name and password. This username and password is the same information that you would use to login to your control panel.
Once connected to your site you will need to upload your web pages and images to the public_html directory.
14. Change DNS settingsGo to the website where you registered your domain name (yourdomain.com) and log in. Most registrars will have several domain name management options for you to choose from. You will want to choose an option that will say something like "Change Web Hosting Companies" or "Change DNS(Domain Name System) Info". Your domain registrar may have slightly different terminology. If you have difficulty their technical support department will be able to assist you.
Vendercom DNS details below:
15. Where is the full directory path?The full directory path is:
16. What is the path to perl?The path to perl is:
The first line of your CGI script is:
17. What is the path to sendmail?The path to sendmail is:
18. What is the path to the date command?The path to the date command is:
19. What is the path to my cgi-bin?The path to your cgi-bin is:
20. Where can CGI scripts be executed from?You should upload your cgi scripts to the cgi-bin folder. Only cgi scripts are viewable in the cgi-bin so .txt and .html files should not be placed in the cgi-bin. CGI scripts can be executed from the cgi-bin.
Where do i upload my CGI scripts?
21. I have uploaded my cgi script but it doesn't work!
I get "500 Internal Server Error".
If it is neither of those, you can view the error log through the control panel. This may give you some indication of what went wrong.
* SEE: How do I check my CGI scripts for errors?
22. How do I check my CGI scripts for errors?You can check your CGI script using our "CGI Script Check" utility.
Note: The CGI script offered below is given a ".txt" extension for download purposes only. Once you have downloaded it, be sure to rename it, giving it either a ".pl" or ".cgi" extension.
Click here to download.
23. Where can PHP scripts be executed from?PHP scripts will run anywhere. PHP scripts can be executed from any directory.
Where do i upload my PHP scripts?
24. Can I use Japanese fonts "Shift-Jis" on your server?To use shift-jis you need to set the meta tag in the html pages.
Japanese is typically encoded in shift_jis, iso-2022-jp, euc-jp.
To use Shift-Jis on your webpage put this tag between the and part of your HTML.
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=Shift_Jis">
Typically if a Japanese page is being viewed a computer without the ability to show Japanese, you can't see Japanese text.
Please check Microsoft Global IME 5.02 for 32-bit Windows. (Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows NT 4.0)
Note: On Windows 2000, the Global IMEs work in any application since that operating system has full-featured East Asian input support built in. On Windows Millennium, Windows 98, Windows 95, and Windows NT 4.0, the Global IMEs work only in supporting applications.
25. What is the filenames that can be used for the index file?
26. How do I renew my yearly hosting account?Yearly hosting accounts are automatically renewed. If you wish to cancel the account, the cancellation request must be made in writing at with least 30 days notice but not more than 60 days prior written notice and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must have all account information to cancel.
27. How do I renew my domain name?Domain names need to be renewed with your domain name registrar.
If you bought or transferred your domain name via Vendercom, log in to the domain manager at http://register.vendercom.com/vendercom/login_in.jsp.
Please do not send payment for domain names to Vendercom/Trellian, as we cannot process them. Renewals must be performed via the Vendercom website.
If you are unsure who your domain registrar is, you can perform a "whois" lookup at http://register.vendercom.com/vendercom/whois_in.jsp.
The registrar will be listed under the item "Registrar Name" or "Reseller".